VrijSpirit Walking Book Club
“The Walking Book Club is a little like a regular book club, except you and your book club take your meeting outside and walk while you talk.
The beauty and simplicity of a Walking Book Club is that it covers three essentials to a healthy brain – mental, physical and social activity.” – Dr. Sarah McKay, director of The Neuroscience Academy, and author of The Women’s Brain Book.
At the start of each month the VrijSpirit Walking Book Club will start a new book and then get together twice each month to take a nice walk and talk about our read. We will divide the book into 4 sections and check in virtually on weeks that we are not walking together.
Join us for one, join us for all and read just as you do – no pressure, just a book and a walk with friends.
- Walk and talks are 2nd and 4th Saturdays, rain or shine, from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
- The Walking Book Club will read one book a month.
- Each book is broken down into 4 sections to be read and discussed each week.
- Our two walks a month will take place in Leiden, 2nd Saturday in the Leidse Hout Park and 4th Saturday through the historic center of Leiden. We will walk from 10:00-10:45.
- Conversation will continue over coffee or tea either at the Leidse Hout Tea House or in the VrijSpirit Studio from 10:45-11:30.
- On 1st and 3rd Saturdays, members are invited to a Zoom check-in from 10:00-11:00 to discuss a book section from the comfort of their own pajamas.
- After the first four books, the group will choose together the next book to share.
The theme for the first three months is women walking, experiencing the natural world from the vantage point of two feet and the inner journey that unfolds in the process.
December Read – Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
January Read – The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
February Read – Walking Home: A pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed by Sonia Choquette
The book club is free, though donations to VrijSpirit are deeply appreciated.
Please do use the form below to sign up.